This December, we are going to feature Bo Sanchez’s newest book, How to Conquer Your Goliaths. Bo Sanchez is a very popular and much sought-after preacher in the Philippines.
His new book “How To Conquer Goliaths” contains two parts. The first part is a creative rendition of the famous story in the bible – the battle between David and Goliath. The second part contains 7 tips to conquer your own Goliath.
Part 1: A Pebble That Crushed a Mountain (David vs Goliath)
The story is re-told with a little twist similar to a “Lola Basyang” setting where several excited children repeatedly request their “Uncle Kenjo” to tell them the story about the olden days of the battle between David and Goliath.
Reading the story feels like reading a children’s story book. Bo’s humor is on the spot. He not only makes reading worthwhile, but for some people (like me) to dream again. What was it like to be a child? To be always in wonder? To surge with excitement over a new story of a very courageous young man named David against a humongous giant named Goliath? It’s always exciting to be a child.
Part 2: 7 Keys of a Champion’s Life
In the second part of the book, Bo Sanchez outlines the following 7 keys to overcoming your problem that’s preventing you from achieving your dreams.
- Follow Your Dream With Passion
- Find something you’re willing to die for
- Focus on the dream, NOT the problem
- Repeat your dreams to yourself over and over again
- Focus on Your Core Gift
- Find out your core gifts & passion
- Follow your passion and match it with the needs of the market
- Use your strengths, delegate the rest
- Believe in Yourself When Others Don’t
- Build your confidence by starting small
- Don’t listen to negative people or those that are not in your target market
- Seek advise and listen to people who are already living your dream
- Build Your Dream Team
- The #1 desired quality is the ability to work with a wide range of people
- Recruit people who are better than you
- Build relationship with your team
- Take Action
- Take the first step in faith. You don’t have the whole staircase. – Martin Luther King Jr.
- Take bold, massive action
- See everything as preparation
- Fail Forward
- Learn to fail
- Be prepared to fail
- Feel the fear, and fail anyway
- Shine Your Light
- Heal your fear of success
- Real humility is selfless servanthood
- Be confident when you shine your light
The book is full of graphic stories to illustrate the key points mentioned above. These ideas are nothing new. But I like what Bo Sanchez said that the reason he wants to learn and re-learn the same things over and over again is because he wants to be “reminded” of these ideas once again.
Who should buy this book? I did! 🙂 It costs PhP 295 (around US $6) at National Bookstore. I think it is a good read. And it never fails to inspire. More than anything, I believe you can get most out of the book if you can pick 1 to 3 gems of ideas that you can readily apply into your life at the moment.
So, I’ll start with mine.
1) My first Goliath is time. I got sick the past couple of days…perhaps because of stress at work – working a lot of overtime due to the upcoming holidays….or because of lack of sleep and exercise. I want to be able to manage my time more so that I don’t feel like I’m always in a hurry.
2) My second Goliath is physical fitness. Isn’t it obvious I don’t want to be ever sick again? One thing I miss doing was engaging in sports activities like badminton and basketball. When I was in Malaysia, I’d always play badminton and basketball every week with friends. Even though it is a challenge to play those games now, I still want to find a way to take care of my body and be physically healthy.
3) My third Goliath is freedom fund. I want to be able to choose what I work on, with whom I work it with, and when I want to work. I have just started learning more about the various financial vehicles that I can grow my money and earn some passive income on. My goal is to be able to generate enough passive income to cover my monthly expenses. This is the purpose of my freedom fund. I am still a long, long way to go. But there’s no other way to be alive than being inspired to achieve your dreams.
How about you? What Goliaths are you facing right now? How are you planning to face them to achieve your dreams?